Habitat for Humanity of McHenry County (HFHMC) is an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing organization. We strive both to change the systems that lead to poverty housing and build communities where everyone can afford to live. The sad fact is that the need for decent, affordable housing is far greater than any single organization can meet. That is why HFHMC works with partners throughout the community including businesses, non-profits, government entities, civic organizations, and the faith community. We enthusiastically share Habitat for Humanity International’s ultimate goal of putting shelter on the hearts and minds of people in such a powerful way that poverty housing and homelessness become socially, politically, and religiously unacceptable in our region, nation, and world.
The vision of Habitat for Humanity of McHenry County is a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live and housing poverty and homelessness are eliminated. We believe that the home is a key catalyst in helping to permanently break the cycle of poverty.
- Choosing Personal Responsibility – Sharing Time, Talent & Treasure
- Putting Faith into Action – Conviction Translated into Deeds
- Building Homes, Communities, Relationships and Lives
- Respecting the Dignity of Individuals – Everyone has a Voice
- Creating a Legacy Sustained through Commitment & Dedication
Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope.
- Demonstrate our faith.
Believing that God’s love and grace abound for all, we undertake our work to demonstrate that we must be the “hands and feet” of that love and grace in our world. We believe that through faith, the miniscule can be multiplied to accomplish the magnificent, and that in faith, respectful relationships can grow among all people.
- Focus on shelter.
We strive to create opportunities for all people to live in decent, durable shelter. We put faith into action by helping to build, renovate or preserve homes, and by partnering with others to accelerate and broaden access to affordable housing as a foundation for breaking the cycle of poverty.
- Advocate for affordable housing.
We promote decent, affordable housing for all, and we support the global community’s commitment to housing as a basic human right. We will advocate for just and fair housing policy to eliminate the constraints that contribute to poverty housing. And, in all of our work, we will seek to put shelter on hearts and minds in such a powerful way that poverty housing becomes socially, politically and religiously unacceptable.
- Promote dignity and hope.
We believe that no one lives in dignity until everyone can live in dignity. We believe that every person has something to contribute and something to gain from creating communities in which all people have decent, affordable places to live. We believe that dignity and hope are best achieved through equitable, accountable partnerships.
- Support sustainable and transformational development.
We view our work as successful when it transforms lives and promotes positive and lasting social, economic and spiritual change within a community; when it is based on mutual trust and fully shared accomplishment; and when it demonstrates responsible stewardship of all resources entrusted to us.
- Jerry Monica – President & CEO
- Dan Hedman – Director of Operations
- Kathy Haupt – Family Services
- Julie Wills – Financial Services
- Holly Zissman – Community Engagement Coordinator
- Bill Lee – Construction Manager
- Dale McClelland – Home Repair Assessments & Energy Consultant
- Brian Culbert – Home Construction Supervisor
- Ron Lillie – Home Repair / Construction Team Leader
- Jesse Beers – Construction Team Leader
- Keith Freund – Construction Team Leader
- Mark Branson – ReStore Manager, Woodstock & Social Media Director
- Dan Shank – ReStore Manager, Woodstock
- Dawn Schepler – ReStore Manager, McHenry
- Kovas Lapinas – Assistant ReStore Manager, McHenry
- Anna Kittle – ReStore Donation Coordinator
Board of Directors
- Doug Long – Chairman of BOD
- Robert M. Gray – Vice Chair
- Charles Milett – Secretary
- Kim Eggar – Treasurer
- Al Engler – Director
- Mark Peteler – Director
- Marcia Behrens – Director
- William Regner – Director
- Dana Ferguson – Director
- James Feetterer – Director
- Jamie Askin – Director